Monday, December 31, 2012

So.

Total failure with the blog last year.  I did the best I could, but these boys just change so much.  Our schedules change so much.  I honestly don't know how other folks do it.  I couldn't even make a month.  Not enough time, lost interest, blah blah blah.  Of course the powers that be also aggravated me with changes to their terms of service, but it's mostly my failure.

Now I've had a bunch of time to think about why.  Problem number one?  As much as I love my kids, and as cute as I think they are, they don't do something write-worthy every day.  And some of the things they do that I could write about, I don't really want to share.  It might be cathartic, but I don't think it needs to be memorialized for all time on the interwebz.

Problem two- While I am a stay at home dad, my life doesn't revolve around the boys.  Much of it does, for sure.  That's kinda the point of being a stay at home dad, right?  But I have other interests, things I would enjoy writing about, and I instituted some self imposed restrictions on topics.  That was dumb because I ran out of things to write about.

Three- I'm too old to not be me.  I have opinions, many are strong, and they are going to creep into what I write.  Trying to prevent  that by staying away from anything that might offend someone was another needless, self imposed restriction.  My world will not end if I piss some of you off.  Your world will not end if I piss you off.  While I don't intentionally go out of my way to annoy people, I'm not going to shy away from something because it might annoy some people.  I'm sure everyone knows how to scroll by now.  So, sorry in advance if I annoy you.  Some of the things I want to say are political in nature, my politics are kinda funky, and you'll probably be annoyed by something.  I hope you'll read anyway.  We can move past being pissed, right?  Maybe gain a greater understanding of some topics?

Four-  Not all of these posts have to be great posts.  Read anything on writing and you will find the same advice over and over and over.  Just write, don't worry about it being good, just write.  So, whenever I have time, and something to say, I'm going to write.  Which probably necessitates another apology.  Now, not only shall I subject you to some of my politics, I'm going to subject you to crap writing.  So sorry for that crap as well.

Now, if I haven't lost you yet, important information you should be aware of.  I'll be transferring everything here to weebly or another free hosting site.  If you follow The Semi Crunchy Dad on facebook, I'll make sure it's posted there.  Once I get set up and running in a new location, I'll let you know.  For now, I'll post here.  I have to say though, weebly looks pretty cool... I could even sell my flies and knitting there I think!  Although, if I actually want to make money, I should sell my wife's knitting.  She's much better than me.

Anyway, look for the first new post tonight.  It will be a doozy I think.  I've been working on it for awhile, and while I'm sure it will piss many of you off, it's something I need to speak out on.

Hope you can squeeze me in to your new years eve plans.

2 comments:

  1. OOOOO ... I can't wait 8)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anybody who is your friend, a true friend, will still be your friend no matter what you write. I think your warning was wise. People shouldn't take what you write personally, and if they think they might be personally offended then they shouldn't follow along.

    I like what you write. I don't always agree with your opinions, but I find that fun and interesting. Proceed my friend. The best writing will come when you stop censoring yourself.

    ReplyDelete