Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Blue's Clues Mystery

We don't watch much TV here.  We actually don't have cable, satellite, or even an antenna.  So, what we watch is determined by what DVDs we decide to buy or rent.  Renting is pretty easy.  Something in the horror, sci-fi, action adventure, or a similar category works for me.  Autumn is equally easy, comedy, or even better, romantic comedy.  And the boys are simple too.  Animated.



Buying is a bit more difficult.  It's hard to shell out twenty bucks for something you aren't sure you'll love and watch again.  That's why we prefer the five dollar buckets at the local giant (no longer just big) box store.  We can generally find something we know we love, because we've seen it previously, and for a quarter of the price.  Big win.


We do take chances on stuff for the kids though.  Well, Sesame Street was an easy decision.  But I'm not familiar with a lot of the new kids shows and cartoons.


I had heard good things about Blues Clues though.  A cartoon dog and a human host who solve simple mysteries together for fun.  Good wholesome learning.  I even read an article about it.  Apparently they play the same episode all week on TV because the kids learn through repetition.  So, by the end of the week, the kids get some satisfaction, because they have memorized the episode and can solve the mystery.  I'm sure that also helps the shows producers gain a captive audience as well as a market for a plethora of related Blues Clues paraphernalia.  But the article didn't mention that.  Hmmmm.


Anyway, a friend had already given us a stack of Blues Clues books, which was an awesome score.  And we found a few DVD collections in the five dollar bucket.  So, we picked them up.


The boys really seem to like them.  They have even started asking for "Blues"  (pronounced bwwoooz) instead of cars and trains.  That's really something in our house.  But even thought the boys like the show, I have to say, I have some concerns...


1.  Why do all the kids shows have to try and find a host from the Pee Wee mold?  Sesame Street had a huge diversity of hosts.  But Steve?  Well, you decide:






2.  Why does he have to wear the same shirt all the time?  I mean, I know, he loves the color green.  But there are many green shirts available  he could pick from.  What kind of hygiene example are we setting here.  Hey kids, don't worry about washing your clothes.  It's perfectly okay to wear the same shirt over and over and over.


3.  And about that shirt... has it gone beyond a favorite?  Have we crossed the favorite county line and driven into obsessiveville?  Am I putting my kids at risk here by letting them watch this guy?  Is it going to be a fight to get them to let me wash their favorite shirts now?


4.  Before I start on number four, let me just say that I understand cartoon physics.  I get it.  I say that because I know some of you will chalk this up to cartoon physics.  I say, even cartoon physics have to make some kind of sense.  If they don't, our kids will wind up unable to understand real physics, much less be able to differentiate between TV and reality.  So, cartoon physics have to make some kind of sense.


4.  (For real this time)  The side table can talk.  The mailbox can talk.  The Ginger Bread Cookie Boy can talk.  The bucket and shovel can talk.  The Clock can talk.  Even the Pee Wee Herman wannabe host can talk.  Do you know who can't talk?  The Dog.  You know, the Dog named Blue, star of the hit Kid's TV show "Blue Clues", the smartest dog in the world.  Yeah, she can't talk.  What kind of sense does that make?  Cartoon physics gives just about every other object the ability to talk, but somehow falls short with Blue?  Hmmm.  I think something deeper, more subtle, is going on.


5.  Oh, and Ginger Bread Cookie Boy- seriously, even cartoon physics cannot overcome a dogs inclination to scarf up cookies.  Cookie boy would be nothing but crumbs, even when left alone with a cartoon dog.  Again, even cartoon physics have to make some kind of sense.


6.  Getting back to Blue's lack of loquaciousness.  Interesting that Blue, the star of the show, is female.  The host of the show is male.  The male can talk, but the female star cannot.  Is this the producers subtle way of telling us that women should be seen and not heard?  That they have nothing of value to say?  That they need a man to do their talking for them?


I won't stand for it.  It's 2012, and that kind of thinking should be long dead and buried.  I won't teach my boys to think that way, nor will I allow them to watch some stupid show where a Pee Wee Herman look alike subtly tries to convince them it's okay.




Well, at least I won't most of the time.  Next the three of us are sick and I have zero energy and zero help and want to let the TV be a parent for a few hours...  Well, Blue will probably be okay then

5 comments:

  1. John you are the best! So funny, and sadly true. Blue has never been popular in my house. Give us Diego or Olivia over Blue any day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the past twelve years we have been through so many shows and cartoons. Our kids love the classics we grew up with, everything from Looney Toons, Popeye, Mickey Mouse, and Scooby Doo and then back around again to The Pink Panther and Tom and Jerry. Joanie and I drew the line very early on at the ones that we thought were over the top obnoxious, like Sponge Bob to almost everything mad in the last twelve years. Maybe that's why we love Phineas and Ferb so much; it's funny and smart without being obnoxious. Have you seen The Backyardigans yet? It's a great series full of music, and it's appropriate for the 3 year old crowd.

    It's all part of the journey. Have fun finding out what they like, and don't forget to share it with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check out Phineas and Ferb, and Diego/Olivia.

    I'm just starting to get up to speed on my kids shows. Is it bad that I'd actually rather read to them? I mean, the TV is really good for those days when I'm sick and need to entertain them with as little effort on my part as possible. But I'd really rather read to and with them.

    I spent a good chunk of the day adding Gary Paulsen and similar authors to their Amazon wishlist. Oh, and My Side of the Moutain. I loved that book as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best part is that you get to choose. Our kids get a mixture. They know enough to ask to have the tv on, and they ask if it's ok to watch something. Even with the tv as a choice you would be amazed at how much and how often they just read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My side of the Mountain is awesome. Loved that book.

    ReplyDelete