Monday, January 9, 2012

Crunchy Knitting

Well, just a quick post tonight folks.  Forgot the boys have speech therapy tomorrow.  Have to get up early to make sure the place is neat and clean before Jane the Speech Therapist arrives.

I always feel bad for her... she's this tiny little thing, always looking very prim and proper.  And then she gets to our front door.  First Fergus the smelly, slobbery basset hound has to say hello.  And as soon as she sits, he tries to sit in her lap.  Next up, the boys.  Once they remember that she's fun, they run at her full speed and latch on to a leg.  And since she's tiny, they come pretty close to taking her out.  Especially if Fergus has walked behind her... classic playground tripping prank.  Although I don't think the heathens planned it that way.  Yet at least.  Once she goes down the first time, they will probably find it hysterical, and then they will try and do it again.  Can't wait for that one.  The final insult is Shadow the cat, the super long haired cat we adopted.  Once everyone settles down, she'll make an appearance.  Usually after she's used the litter box, so she's trailing an odor.  And just in case it's not as strong as you might like, she'll make sure to rub her fuzzy butt in your face while testing your lap.  She constantly sheds.  That super long hair is super fine, and super soft.  It's also has a super static charge and will, therefore, attach itself to you in clumps as soon as she comes within a foot or two.



By the time poor Jane the Speech Therapist leaves, she's covered with at least two kinds of fur and two kinds of slobber.  I figure the least I can do is make sure the house starts off nice and clean for the poor lady.

Which brings me to the crunchy knitting project.  Didn't know I could knit did you?  Well, I can.  I also have a dirty secret.  Besides the knitting thing I mean.  I am in love with my swiffer sweeper and head over heels for my swiffer duster.  One grabs all the dirt and dust off the floor, and the other grabs dirt and dust from everywhere else.  Together, they are amazing, taking the house to a whole new level of clean.  They really work.  That in and of itself is a miracle in the age of modern advertising.  And the boys love to use them as they 'help' Dad clean

One problem.  A big one.  So big, it threatens to ruin our relationship.  As a Semi Crunchy Dad, I can't in good conscience use a product that relies on throwaway bits and pieces to achieve such cleanly heights.  I mean, how are you really cleaning up if you're actually contributing more to the waste stream?  So, I've tried to find alternatives.  But I've been less than satisfied. Nothing seemed up to the standard set by my loves.  So, like dirty mistresses, they stay in the closet, hidden from view, brought out only for special occasions.

Tonight however, I found inspiration.  A friend posted a picture of her latest crochet project on facebook.  A  pad made to fit her swiffer floor sweeper.  Brilliant.  Why didn't I think of this before?

A little Google-Fu and I found free patterns for several styles of floor dusters, wet jet mops, and, for my true love, a homemade, washable, reusable, dusting alternative.  Oh happy days!  It's green, it's cheap, and I can do it myself!  My little blond bombshell is going to look so good in her new outfit.

Check Tipnut for links to several paterns to knit, crochet, or sew.  And I'd really check out the 'Showdown' at the bottom of the page.  Funny stuff.



Don't tell Autumn, but I think my love affair with Miss Swiffer is back on.

2 comments:

  1. Google "comb on a stick" for a good thing for superfluffy kitties. Can't do much about the buttstink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The FURminator!!

    Love it. But I'm not sure she would sit still for it.

    ReplyDelete