Sunday, January 1, 2012

Tolstoy and the New Year

Okay everyone, here we go.  Day one of 365 blog posts.  And since it's the first day of the new year, of course it will be a New Years day themed post.  Nothing cliche about that, right?


Now I hope you aren't alarmed by the title of this post.  Yes it is about Tolstoy, but this won't be the blogging version of War and Peace.  Well, it's sort of about Tolstoy.  Really more about Jon J. Muth.



For those of you who don't know, Jon J. Muth is a most excellent kids author and illustrator.  The illustrations especially are great.  Ink and watercolor combinations that are just beautiful.  I first fell in love with Stillwater while I was working at Borders.  How could anyone not love a chubby zen Panda who holds the secrets to enlightenment and is so willing to share his wisdom?  I can't get enough of the old zen stories, retold for kids, and I'm thinking about buying another copy just so I can cut it apart and frame the illustrations.  Yep, I love them that much.


The latest Muth addition to the boy's book shelves was a Christmas present from the grandparents.  This time it's a retelling of Tolstoy's short story The Three Questions.  Muth pares the story down and changes it a bit.  And of course it contains more of his amazing watercolors.  


Now, I've read some critiques of Muth's version, and I think they are off base.  Wildly off base.  We're talking about comparing a children's picture book to the work of one history's greatest novelists.  It's apples and oranges people.  Trying to compare this work, adapted for children, to the heavy stuff that makes up a big chunk of the cannon of western literature is just silly.  I know, Muth replaces the king with a young boy.  No one gets executed.  No one is trying to commit murder.  And so no, it's not exactly true to the original.  But I find Muth's changes wholly appropriate.  Seriously, I'm okay with leaving out the stomach stabbing guards and a vengeful brother intent on murder while reading to my kids.  


Besides, it has those awesome watercolor illustrations... Have I mentioned those?


Anyway, the part of the story that matters, and what Muth captures so well, is finding the answer to those three questions:


-What is the best time to do things?
-Who is the most important one?
-What is the right thing to do?


Nikolai is the young boy who takes the place of the King in Muth's version.  And like the king, he eventually finds the answers to his questions.  This time with the help of Leo, a very old turtle.  Actually, Leo points out that Nikolai answers his own questions through his actions.  Read the story and you'll see what Nikolai actually does as he figures it out.  I don't want to tell you everything after all.


That old reptilian sage, Leo, ends the story by telling Nikolai (and us) to:


     "Remember then that there is only one important time, and that time is now.  The most important one is always the one you are with.  And the most important thing is to do good for the one who is standing at your side.  For these my dear boy, are the answers to what is most important in this world.  This is why we are here."


Sounds pretty smart for an old watercolor Turtle.  Smart enough that I'm going to try and not only remember it , but live it as well.  Call it my other New Years resolution.  


And I'm also going to keep reading it at night, hoping the message sinks in eventually.  It's going to be tough though, the heathens seem to enjoy jumping on their beds and blowing raspberries more than listening to Dad during nightly story time.  But I think sharing the answers to what is most important in this world with my own dear boys is one of the greatest things I can do.  So, I'll grab some towels and try and stay clear of the spittle trajectory, remembering that the time is now.  That these little slobber launching heathens are the most important ones in my life.  And that they need me to do and be good for them. 


Shouldn't be to hard.  Their aim isn't that good.  Yet.








Anyway, Happy New Years everyone, best wishes to you and yours.  If you haven't already, check out Muth's books, they all rock.  I hope you'll join me in trying to keep these answers front and center in your own lives.  And if you have ideas on how you teach your kids these kinds 'answers' please share.  I could use the help. 


Only 365 posts to go!

1 comment:

  1. Boy, strating the year off with your double barrels blazing with Tolstoy and some soft existentialism.

    I am not familiar with Muth, but there are some timeless children's authors. Great pictures also help.

    Remember that you will never be stuck for topics. Regale this audience with The Tales of Quinn and Elliott.

    ReplyDelete