Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Joys of Swaddling

What a funny word.  Swaddling.  It sounds like it's a contraction for something.  Maybe smashed waddling?  As in "The stay at home dad was so happy to have a night out that he got smashed and had to waddle home...  I saw him s'waddling up the steps."

For parents, swaddling means wrapping up your baby snugly in a blanket.  It's nothing short of miraculous.  Your tired, cranky, inconsolable baby is turned into a quiet, content, bundle of joy once swaddled.  Sleep (for you and the baby) is close at hand.


Most of the parenting books cover swaddling.   In fact, there are books devoted entirely to the subject of swaddling.  Imagine that, whole books on wrapping your baby in a blanket.  I know, because I purchased and read them.

Let me save you some money- just ask a nurse to show you if you don't already know how.  Or another Mom.  Or I can send you my copy.

I guess it works because your little munchkin isn't used to being outside the womb.  The snugly wrapped blanket is not only warm, but reminiscent of being inside the mummy tummy.  How anyone knows that, I have no idea.  But apparently the new found ability to wiggle is so traumatic to a newborn that it produces screaming fits.  

In case you don't know, newborns are 10% water, 10% poop factory and 80% lungs.  So when I say screaming, I mean SCREAMING.

Swaddling temporarily limits the ability to wiggle, which greatly reduces screaming, which leads to sleep.  Sleep is every parent's hourly goal, and you should use every available tool to achieve this goal.  For as many hours as possible.  You have a minimum of 18 years of child induced sleep loss ahead of you.  So get sleep how you can, when you can.

Despite loads of resources proclaiming the benefits of swaddling, you will occasionally run into someone who says something dumb.  Like "It's cruel not let them wriggle around" (real cruelty is making you figure out how to install a car seat without an engineering degree). Either this person has no children or had children so long ago, they have forced the memories of sleepless nights (and weeks, and months) from their minds.  In laws are often found in this category.  As are strangers at the grocery store.  It's perfectly okay to ignore them after a few polite nods.  If you run into a particularly recalcitrant swaddling denier, one who can't be ignored, you may actually need to go ahead and buy a book.  For some reason, reading what the expert baby burrito makers say on the subject is better than you just telling them.

Kidding aside, there are some real benefits to consider.  What I read while the boys were still cooking claimed that swaddling can reduce the incidence of SIDS.  It can help babies get more REM sleep which could lead to better brain development.  It can reduce colic and fussiness.  My wife still swaddles herself most nights.  I'm not sure why she needs ALL the blankets to do it, but it does reduce her fussiness.  Amazingly, it can even help make breast feeding easier.  

Okay, that last one wasn't my area of responsibility.  But I can say that as the dairy manager, the job is much easier when both consumers and producers are happy and well rested.

(See, it all comes back to sleep...)


Now, when they are real small, little babies blankets will work fine.  But, if you have given birth to heathen cave men like my wife did, you may need something more.  I recommend the Kiddopotamus.  It's like a fancy blanket, but with strategically placed Velcro to keep the little buggers wrapped up.  This is one of the few things I packed up from the shower that wasn't total junk.  I loved those things.

The only thing I don't get about swaddling is why we had to stop.  The boys are almost three now, and I am sure there are times that swaddling them would be good for all three of us.  Like when they ignore me and scale the back of the couch, again.  Or play 'crash' by running into to each other.  Or try and ride the dog.  Or see how bouncy I am by hurling themsleves into the back of my legs- usually while I have a pan of something really hot at the stove.  I think swaddling would be a good way to break up the impromptu rugby games that develop.  

I think they still make swaddling blankets in toddler sizes.  I'm pretty sure they're called straight jackets.












Disclaimer- While I think there are many benefits to swaddling, there are some cons and you should do your own research and make your own decisions, with whoever you need to consult with.  Most days I'm barely responsible enough to be left alone with my own kids.  I certainly can't be responsible for what you do with yours.  If you insist on taking what I say seriously, then you should also take what I say with the biggest grain of salt you can find.




3 comments:

  1. S'waddlin to the couch in just a few moments. After a full day of teaching America's future the finer points of the language, helping my own kids with their homework, doing chores, then two hours at basketball practice, and finally two going on three hours spent dealing with an upchucking 5 year old who thinks he's "going to spit his heart out." Full day fatigue setting in; thus, the s'waddle.

    And before I black out here in front of the computer, let me just say that if one more person ever asks me if I'm "babysitting" my own children while my wife is busy with something away from the house, I'm gonna upbraid them with a tender wallop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I don't get that 'babysitting' stuff. I have mad parenting skills. I can potty train boys for cripes sake.

    Show me a babysitter who can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to laugh at the bit about Autumn. I like your idea of toddler straight jackets, as well.

    ReplyDelete