Tuesday, February 7, 2012

In this corner, weighing 35 pounds...

Hug O' War
I will not play at tug o' war
I'd rather play at hug o' war,
Where everyone hugs 
Instead of tugs,
Where everyone giggles
And rolls on the rug,
Where everyone kisses,
And everyone grins
And everyone cuddles,
And everyone wins.
                        -Shel Silverstein

So the boys have invented Hug O' War.  Well, okay, they didn't invent it.  But they did arrive at it independently of outside influence.  So, while they can't claim credit for being the first to invent it, it is a new invention to them.


It's pretty funny to watch as well.  They circle each other like two wrestlers (The real kind, not the WWE kind).  Eventually, they collide together and grapple.  They giggle the entire time.


The giggles continue as they circle around together, in the Hug O' War embrace.  Eventually, someone gets dizzy and they fall.  Or someone trips and they fall.  Or someone tries to step back and let go and they fall.  


The round ends when someone falls, but usually the giggles don't.  The game will continue until someone inadvertently falls on a toy.  That's also usually when the giggles stop.  It's an accident though, and no penalties are assessed to either combatant.


There doesn't seem to be any standard uniform for Hug O' War.  I've seen it played in pajamas, underwear, even nekked.  Nor does the arena matter.  As long as there is enough space for wary, giggle filled, circling, the game can commence.  It's a lot like hacky sack that way.  Not that I've ever been involved in nekked hacky sack... 


Fergus (our smelly basset hound) serves as the main spectator (home and away, he barks for both sides) and referee.  He will make broader, counter circles around Quinn and Elliott, panting, slobbering, and with the occasional sharp bark if he thinks things are too rough.  If the boys don't respond to his 'whistle', he'll run over and bark at me.


John Gierach was right- if you don't give a dog a job, he'll make up his own, and it will inevitably be fun.  For Fergus, that means not only trying to get in on the Hug O' War action, but also keeping an eye on his family, making sure no one gets hurt while having fun.  There is probably a lesson in there somewhere.


I've been thinking about having some friends over to watch the Hug O' War battles.  Maybe a few beers, some friendly wagering.  It could be a lot of fun.  But then I realize I have two problems.  Do I really want to sully something so pure as the joy and happiness the boys have playing hug o' war by turning it into a spectator sport with beer and betting?  Probably not.  And, much like the mysterious uniform rules, I can't really figure out the game schedule.  They seem to take place where ever and when ever the mood strikes.  So anyone I invited would probably miss the main event anyway.


Anyway, the amazing part to me isn't that they inadvertently invented this game on their own... the same game immortalized by Shel in his poem.  What's amazing is that so many kids have invented it on their own.  Sure, mostly I see my boys play it with each other, but I've seen it played at parks, and I'm sure other parents have too.  


So what's amazing about that?  Well, surrounded by toys and activities and TV, and computers, and all the other distractions modern life has to offer my little heathens, they chose to invent a game for themselves.  One that involves hugs and giggles, and kisses and cuddles.  One that we all win.


I'm sure there is a lesson in that.  


Probably the first of many my boys will teach me, if I pay attention.    

No comments:

Post a Comment